LGBTQIA+ Student Scholarships
Posted by Nora Franco on June 19th, 2019
Posted in: Children and Teens, Scholarships and Grants
Financial Aid, health professions, LGBTQIA+, Students
Pride Month is in full swing as well as summer vacation, which brings relaxation, road trips, and for many, prepping for the school season to come! For those working with or providing resources to LGBTQIA+ students, find financial aid resources specifically for them, including those interested in the health professions, below.
- The Queer Foundation Scholarship Fund promotes effective writing by, about, and/or for queer youth. The Queer Foundation offers to the winners of each year’s essay contest $1,000 scholarships to the U.S. college or university of their choice to study queer theory or related fields. Examples of related fields are queer medical, legal, or social issues.
- The Pride Foundation offers scholarships for students living and studying in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, or Washington; the application opens October 2019.
- The International Foundation for Gender Education sponsors the the Transgender Scholarship and Education Legacy Fund
- University of California – Irvine grants the James Harvey Scholar award which provides financial support to students who are completing a publishable thesis or dissertation on homosexuality or the life or works of James Harvey.
- Check the list FinAid has compiled to find additional scholarships available for LGBTQIA+ students.
ABOUT Nora Franco
Nora works as the Consumer Health Librarian for NNLM PSR at UCLA and is passionate about empowering people to participate in their healthcare by locating reliable health information. She is an advocate for recruiting traditionally underrepresented groups to health sciences librarianship.
View all posts by Nora Franco