Today we kick off a new feature on Midwest Matters: So you want to be an outreach librarian? The GMR has established a partnership with heath sciences libraries that share NNLM’s mission of outreach. These libraries and librarians conduct outreach on behalf of the GMR office, presenting educational sessions on and promoting National Library of Medicine resources. See our website to learn more about our Partner Outreach Libraries.
Today’s post highlights our Wisconsin colleague, Kathryn Mlsa. Let’s get started!
Name: Kathryn Mlsna
Title: Manager, Public Services and Education, Medical College of Wisconsin
Our five questions:
1. How long have you been in the role of an outreach librarian? 4 years
2. How did you get involved in outreach? I was assigned the role when are dedicated staff member resigned her position.
3. What is your favorite outreach project that you’ve done so far? I presented to Public Reference Librarian on The Health Reference Interview.
4. What outreach activity do you hope to do in the future? Health Literacy for at Risk Youth
5. What is the one thing you wished you had known before you got started in outreach? How fulfilling it would be, because then I would have volunteered for the role!
Thank you, Kathryn, for sharing your expertise and your insights!