So you want to be an outreach librarian? Spotlight on Judith Wiener
Posted by Jacqueline Leskovec on February 7th, 2018
Posted in: Outreach, Partner Outreach Libraries
This month’s spotlight brings us to the far eastern reach of the GMR, the state of Ohio. Say hello to Judy Wiener, who has been a GMR outreach librarian since…well, let’s find out more about her in her own words. Thanks, Judy, for all you do in support of the NNLM mission.
Name: Judith A. Wiener, MA, MLIS
Title: Associate Director and Assistant Director, Collections and Outreach, The Ohio State University Health Sciences Library
Our five questions:
- How long have you been in the role of an outreach librarian? I have served as an outreach librarian to the GMR at the OSU Health Sciences Library since 2009.
- How did you get involved in outreach? My background is in special collections and public history so the focus of my entire professional career has always had a public outreach component. In 2009, I was asked to extend my outreach responsibilities beyond the special collections department of our library when I accepted the position as Assistant Director for Special Collections and Outreach.
- What is your favorite outreach project that you’ve done so far? I feel most proud of the work we have done to develop a consumer health course for public librarians in Ohio. This year, the program will have an even larger reach when we record a webinar that can be viewed upon demand in the future. I find connecting public librarians to the resources they need to meet the needs of their customers extremely rewarding.
- What outreach activity do you hope to do in the future? We are currently working with our colleagues across the OSU Library System to develop outreach programming to help support the information needs of those deeply impacted by the opioid crisis. We are at the beginning phase of developing a needs assessment plan but hope we can pull together resources and programs that will help those on the frontline of this issue in our state.
- What is the one thing you wished you had known before you got started in outreach? I wish I knew how much support was available as an outreach librarian. At first, I was not aware of all of the resources and help available from colleagues and from the GMR office and it was overwhelming! I felt like I was drinking out of a firehose. In time I have learned that everyone is willing to help and to collaborate in order to make outreach programming a success.
ABOUT Jacqueline Leskovec
Jacqueline Leskovec, MLIS, MA, RN is the Network Librarian for NNLM GMR. She is the lead for the Partner Outreach Library Program, Network membership and user accounts, and the GMR website. She has been with the Network since 2005. In addition to being a health sciences librarian, Jacqueline maintains her license as a registered nurse. She telecommutes from her home office in Chicago and attends on-site meetings regularly. She is well acquainted with power tools and will be happy to bore you with details of her many home repair and remodel adventures.
View all posts by Jacqueline Leskovec