Academic Librarians–Lend Us an Ear!
Posted by Hannah Sinemus on November 20th, 2014
Posted in: 2014, Issue 4
Missy Harvey, Technology and Communication Coordinator
- Are you an academic librarian in a college/university with no medical school?
- Are you being asked to provide support for new programs that are health science-related?
- Are you struggling to afford subscriptions for health-science related databases to support those new programs?
Then we’re here to help you!
Targeted Outreach This Past Year
Over the past year, MAR has targeted our outreach to community college librarians who play a role in training nurses and the allied health professions.
Our efforts included:
- Offering a class: Navigating Health Information for Community Colleges to introduce librarians to PubMed and other key NLM resources to help their students and faculty find quality information
- Offering a new funding opportunity targeting faculty, librarians, and/or students affiliated with health sciences programs at community colleges
We’ve been delighted at the response to our efforts:
- Our new class was attended by 200+ community college librarians, with an additional 80 signed up to attend in November 2014 alone
- Our LibGuide has been viewed nearly 1,000 times, with many libraries adding the link to their websites
- The Southeastern NY Library Resources Council (SENYLRC) received a $15,000 award from MAR to partner with five community colleges to expand access to, and the use of NLM health information resources in the region
New Targeted Outreach for You This Year
In 2014-15, we are expanding our outreach to academic libraries in colleges/universities without medical schools. Many of your institutions have programs that need access to health sciences information. We can help you learn about free NLM resources in such fields as:
||Biology / Chemistry
Become a member of our network to take advantage of services specifically to meet your needs:
- Free classes/webinars on topics such as:
- Searching PubMed
- Disaster planning for your library
- Grant proposal writing
- Privacy and security on the web
- 3D printing
- Evaluation techniques for library advocacy
- Funding opportunities in a wide range of areas—a new funding announcement will be coming out in January 2015
Sample Free Resources
NLM provides access to hundreds of databases. A few samples below that may help your faculty and students:
- PubMed: Indexes the scholarly literature from MEDLINE and more, available for free once your students graduate–check out our PubMed training opportunities
- MedlinePlus: Includes a wide variety of resources to educate patients and their families on their diseases or conditions
- TOXNET: Includes databases on hazardous chemicals, environmental health, toxicology and more
- Drug Information Portal: A gateway to drug information from NLM and other key government agencies
How Can You Take Advantage of These Free Opportunities?
- Email our academic liaison if you’re interested in any topics above: Missy Harvey, email@example.com
- Subscribe to our listserv to keep abreast of classes and health-science related topics
ABOUT Hannah Sinemus
Hannah Sinemus is the Web Experience Coordinator for the Middle Atlantic Region (MAR). Although she updates the MAR web pages, blog, newsletter and social media, Hannah is not the sole author of this content. If you have questions about a MARquee or MAReport posting, please contact the Middle Atlantic Region directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View all posts by Hannah Sinemus