Spotlighting and Celebrating our Members!
Posted by Hannah Sinemus on June 21st, 2018
Posted in: 2018, Issue 2
At NNLM MAR, we do a lot of direct outreach. We exhibit and present at conferences, provide a wide-range of online and in-person training, and visit our member organizations throughout New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. But, there’s only so much our small staff can do. We are continually amazed by the creativity our members show in their health information outreach efforts and grateful when they share their expertise with others.
Members and other partners serve as guest speakers for our monthly webinars. Recent speakers have provided talks on:
- LGBTQ Library Programming – Deena Caswell of the Cherry Hill Public Library discussed programming for all ages, gaining administrative support, finding community partners, and navigating the sensitive areas of media attention, promotion, and complaints.
- Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds – Joni Melnick and Valerie DeMatteo talked about their project at Torrance State Hospital that enabled patients to to learn how to access reliable health information to implement a healthy lifestyle.
- Welcoming People Managing Mental Illnesses and the Disease of Addiction – Marie Verna, President of Dominion Behavioral Health Policy, LLC, provided ideas for community members to learn about behavioral health issues, so they can serve citizens managing mental illnesses and addiction with respect and dignity.
- Developing Escape Rooms at Libraries – Olivia Glotfelty of UPMC Mercy Hospital and Alison Wessel of the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services described their experiences planning and implementing escape rooms in their libraries.
Nurse residents working through the escape room at UPMC Mercy Hospital
- Shared Decision Making – Bonnie Anton of UPMC St. Margaret’s Hospital discussed the “lessons learned” after the implementation of Shared Decision Making in her institution.
- Learning to Liaise with Health Professions – David Nolfi of Duquesne University and Carolyn Schubert of James Madison University offered this condensed version of their course that focuses on how educational standards for health professions can inform library instruction, research support, and collection services, including their best practices for working with health professions from personal experience.
Members have also been sharing their outreach successes on the MAR blog! Thank you to the following members that have done so, including:
- The Adams County Library System in Gettysburg, PA. This library’s Sensory Storytime initiative provided meaningful early literacy experiences for children who may have sensory processing or autism spectrum disorders.
- The Poughkeepsie Public Library District in Poughkeepsie, NY brought health and wellness to their community through a library speaker series featuring medical professionals.
- Martin Library in York, PA increased teen awareness and communication about opioid addiction issues through community programming.
The Pillar of Remembrance at Martin Library
- The Laurel Public Library in Laurel, DE took the initiative to engage and inspire their community in the quest for health information, and the pursuit of healthy living through cooking.
- The North Pocono Public Library in Moscow, PA. This library created a community education series designed to address difficult life planning decisions, such as funeral arrangements and budgeting.
- The Central Library of Rochester & Monroe County in Rochester, NY created a Library Resource Outreach Center and Health Central to eliminate resource barriers for the homeless and at-risk members of their community.
We love it when our members are recognized for their great outreach efforts. Karen Parry from (member) East Brunswick Public Library was recently named one of Library Journal’s 2018 Movers and Shakers! And, MAR-funded UPMC Mercy Hospital was chosen as one of three highlighted members in NLM’s annual update to the Medical Library Association. A short video was produced to show their escape room in action.
Do you have a great Outreach Story? Have you recently presented at a conference or published on your health outreach? Let us know! We love celebrating and sharing the amazing work you do through our blog or Weekly Postings.
ABOUT Hannah Sinemus
Hannah Sinemus is the Web Experience Coordinator for the Middle Atlantic Region (MAR). Although she updates the MAR web pages, blog, newsletter and social media, Hannah is not the sole author of this content. If you have questions about a MARquee or MAReport posting, please contact the Middle Atlantic Region directly at email@example.com.
View all posts by Hannah Sinemus