Be Active! Top Ten Ways to Engage with NNLM MAR
Posted by Hannah Sinemus on February 11th, 2019
Posted in: 2019, Issue 1
In February, the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Middle Atlantic Region, submits annual progress reports to the National Library of Medicine. This progress report, the Research Performance Progress Report (RPPR), is our chance to report on our progress towards the aims of our five-year Cooperative Agreement, set goals for the next year, and justify continued funding.
In addition to NNLM MAR staff activities, we report to what extent member organizations are engaging with NNLM MAR services and programs. As hard working as the NNLM MAR staff is, we depend on our 1100 member organizations to help fulfill our mission to provide all U.S. health professionals with equal access to biomedical information and to improve the public’s access to information to enable them to make informed decisions about their health. So far, in Year 3 of our Cooperative Agreement, over 460 regional member organizations have “engaged” with the Network, a participation rate of 40% in just eight months!
There are many ways to participate in the work of NNLM. Here are ten:
- Look up your organization in our member directory. Volunteer to update the record if no one is listed or if the information is out of date.
- Attend webinars and other trainings sponsored by NNLM MAR and other regions.
- Request a personalized webinar on health information resources for your organization or professional association.
- Order brochures, Libraries Transform posters or Book Club kits.
- Apply for funding to conduct health information outreach in your community.
- Get your Consumer Health Information Specialization.
- Follow @NNLMMAR on Twitter and retweet us to share information about our trainings, funding and NLM resources.
- Share your health outreach stories and be highlighted on our blog or newsletter.
- Invite us to visit your organization on a site visit the next time an NNLM MAR staff member comes to your area.
- Participate in resource sharing services available to regional hospital libraries.
We love hearing about new ways we can engage our members – if you have an idea that is not listed here, let us know! Want to stay updated on current engagement opportunities? Subscribe to NNLM MAR Weekly Postings.
Executive Director Kate Flewelling and Health Programming Coordinator Michael Balkenhol met this issue’s Member Spotlight author Jill Tarabula on a recent site visit to Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital, in Plattsburgh, NY
Written by Kate Flewelling, Executive Director, for the Winter 2019 edition of The MAReport quarterly newsletter.
ABOUT Hannah Sinemus
Hannah Sinemus is the Web Experience Coordinator for the Middle Atlantic Region (MAR). Although she updates the MAR web pages, blog, newsletter and social media, Hannah is not the sole author of this content. If you have questions about a MARquee or MAReport posting, please contact the Middle Atlantic Region directly at email@example.com.
View all posts by Hannah Sinemus