Social Media Analysis During Disasters
Posted by Hannah Sinemus on February 21st, 2018
Posted in: Disaster / Emergency Preparedness, Education, Technology
New from the Disaster Information Management Research Center (DIMRC) comes this self-paced course for Disaster Information Specialists! For emergency managers, information specialists, and others responding to large-scale disasters, it is challenging to filter through the volume of noise on social media to identify valid, actionable information. This course will help participants develop and implement a plan to effectively monitor and analyze disaster information on social media.
Social Media Analysis During Disasters is a self-paced course. It fulfills one of the requirements of the Medical Library Association (MLA) Disaster Information Specialization, and provides three MLA continuing education (CE) credits.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Develop a plan for monitoring social media for disaster information
- Monitor social media for actionable information during disasters
- Choose reliable social media sources and use a checklist to verify content
- Practice techniques to lessen uncertainty and information overload
With further training and practice, you will be ready to:
- Work as a social media monitor in a fast-paced situation, providing critical assessments and suggestions for decision-makers
- Build your own credibility and trust within the public safety community as a valuable go-to resource for social media analysis in disasters
- Be a valuable information resource during disasters
View the Social Media Analysis During Disasters course welcome page to begin the course, or Review other DIMRC courses related to Disaster Health Information and learn how you can earn the MLA Disaster Information Specialist Certificate.
ABOUT Hannah Sinemus
Hannah Sinemus is the Web Experience Coordinator for the Middle Atlantic Region (MAR). Although she updates the MAR web pages, blog, newsletter and social media, Hannah is not the sole author of this content. If you have questions about a MARquee or MAReport posting, please contact the Middle Atlantic Region directly at email@example.com.
View all posts by Hannah Sinemus