Band name or MeSH term? 2019 punk edition
Posted in: Blog, Classes, News, PubMed
The 2016 blog post, Band Name or MeSH Term? A game based on the 2017 Medical Subjects Headings was such a hit, we’ve decided to bring it back with an obscure genre!
Current NLM Associate Fellow Sarah Clarke brings her knowledge of the first wave and beyond to reveal the latest updates to MeSH.
Band Name or MeSH Term? 2019 edition
Is the following a medical subject heading, a band or both? Answers – and a few upcoming dates for webinars – below
- Nerve Agents
- Negative Results
- Road Rage
- Nerve Agents – MeSH term & punk band
- Aegilops – New MeSH Term for 2019 – “A genus of grasses known generally as goatgrasses, presumed to be wild ancestors of domestic WHEAT. They belong to the grass family, POACEAE, and are distributed widely in Eurasia and North America”
- Gangrene – MeSH term; however, Gang Green is a punk band
- Koro – MeSH term & punk band
- Negative Results – New MeSH Term for 2019 – “Subject matter related to research studies in which the data do not demonstrate any clear evidence of effect, especially if an effect was expected”
- Antidote – MeSH term & punk band
- Discharge – Punk band
- Germs – Punk band
- Road Rage – New MeSH Term for 2019 – “Extreme anger generated from a traffic incident or accident that leads to an assault with a motor vehicle or other dangerous weapon by the operator or passenger(s) of one motor vehicle on the operator or passenger(s) of another motor vehicle” & punk band
For further information about 2019 MeSH:
The National Library of Medicine has completed work on the 2019 MeSH Descriptor production release. Users can view 2019 MeSH headings using the MeSH Browser or download them via NLM’s FTP site. Users can view highlighted changes in MeSH Terminology by visiting What’s New in MeSH.
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) and National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM) Training Office for two events in January 2019, introducing you to 2019 Medical Subject Heading (MeSH) and teaching you how to adjust to MeSH changes in your PubMed searches and alerts. Registration is required (see below).
- NLM Webinar: 2019 MeSH Highlights
Join NLM staff for a highlight tour of the 2019 Medical Subject Headings (MeSH). A 20-minute presentation will feature:
- Addition of systematic reviews publication type
- Additional clinical trial publication types
- Subheading changes for manpower, secretion, and utilization
- Additional terminology for data, neoplasms, and other topics.
Following the presentation, Indexing and MeSH experts will be available to answer your questions.
View Recording : 2019 Mesh Highlights
- NNLM Webinar: MeSH Changes and PubMed Searching
Every year, the Medical Subject Headings are updated. Join us for “MeSH Changes and PubMed Searching” to learn:
- How does this affect your PubMed searches?
- What happens when a term gets changed, or added, or removed; or moved to a different part of the MeSH hierarchy?
- How do you accommodate vocabulary changes over time in your comprehensive searches?
- How do you check your saved searches and alerts?
View Recording: MeSH Changes and PubMed Searching