NLM Seeks Input on the Future of the NN/LM: Responses Due by June 26!
Posted by Alan Carr on May 12th, 2014
Posted in: Advocacy, Consumer Health, Document Delivery, General, Outreach
The National Library of Medicine has issued Request for Information (RFI) NIHLM2014157, to seek input from a wide variety of current and potential user communities, including health sciences and public libraries, health professionals, public health workers, community organizations, the general public, and other interested individuals and entities, for recommendations on how the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) can maximize its effectiveness and efficiency in providing all U.S. health professionals with equal access to biomedical information and improving the public’s access to health information.
All responses must be submitted via email to Justin Fraser and Uyen Phuong by 12:00 PM PDT June 26. Please include the Notice number in the subject line. Comments can include but are not limited to the following guiding questions:
Priorities, Strategies, Partnerships
- What priorities should the Network address? Provide recommendations.
- What strategies should be used to reach varied populations, including minorities and the underserved? (NLM is interested in hearing about strategies and practices that have proven successful in the past and that might point the way to future strategies and practices.)
- What are the most effective ways to partner with libraries, health, information, community organizations to reach health professionals, public health professionals, and the general public?
Outreach, Programs Training, Resource Sharing
- What new outreach roles and/or untapped outreach opportunities should be considered? What are barriers and opportunities in these new roles?
- Which Network programs should receive less emphasis or be considered for elimination? Why?
- What are the most effective strategies to support health sciences librarians in their knowledge and ability to support NLM products and services?
- What role should resource sharing (Interlibrary Loan) play in supporting the Network’s mission to promote access to biomedical and or health information?
Membership, Network Structure, Service Coordination
- What should be the responsibilities of Network membership? What should be the benefits?
- What type of Network advisory structure is needed?
- Will the geographical configuration of the Network meet future needs? What services of the Network could be coordinated nationally? What services are best coordinated at a local or regional level?
Response to this RFI is voluntary. Responders are free to address any or all of the categories listed above. NLM will use the information submitted in response to this RFI for planning purposes and is not obligated to comment or respond to any responder’s submission. However, responses to the RFI may be reflected in future solicitations. The information provided will be analyzed and may appear in reports. No proprietary, classified, confidential, or sensitive information should be included in responses.
ABOUT Alan Carr
Alan Carr is the Associate Director, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Southwest Region, based at UCLA.
View all posts by Alan Carr