Resources for Staying Healthy During the Holidays
Posted by Alan Carr on December 20th, 2016
Posted in: Consumer Health, Events, MedlinePlus, NLM Resources, Non-NLM Resources
In addition to joy, the holiday season can also bring stress, home safety hazards, and weight gain. Following are several reliable resources to help everyone stay safe and healthy during the holidays:
- MedlinePlus Text Campaign for Holiday Mental Health: Get three text messages per week through the holidays on how to cope with anxiety, depression, and stress. Users can subscribe by texting MP Health to 468311 or by signing-up online.
- Browse and Share Heart Healthy Holiday Recipes: The Million Hearts® Initiative from the Centers for Disease Control offers a slideshow of nutritious and heart healthy holiday recipes.
- Tips for Holiday Food Safety: The Food and Drug Administration provides tips, links, and videos in both English and Spanish about how to safely prepare foods during the holidays.
- Holiday Fire Safety Resources: The US Fire Administration shares a number of outreach materials about fire safety with candles and Christmas trees, including handouts, posters, videos, and infographics.
- Indoor Exercise Activities at Go4Life: The National Institute on Aging offers a helpful page of endurance, strength, balance, and flexibility exercises, many of which can be done indoors.
ABOUT Alan Carr
Alan Carr is the Associate Director, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Southwest Region, based at UCLA.
View all posts by Alan Carr