National Suicide Prevention Week 2017
Posted by Sara Goodwin on September 11th, 2017
Posted in: Arkansas, Louisiana, Mental Health, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
This week is National Suicide Prevention Week. Did you know:
- Half the population has been impacted by suicide?
- In the U.S., someone dies from suicide every 11.9 minutes?
- 90 percent of people who attempt suicide survive?
According to the latest CDC data from 2014, there were nearly 6,000 deaths attributed to suicide in the SCR region. Here’s how our region ranks nationally:
- Texas – second highest number of suicide deaths
- Oklahoma – 22nd
- Louisiana – 26th
- Arkansas – 31st
- New Mexico – 33rd
Suicide is completely preventable. Often those who commit or attempt suicide are struggling with depression or another mental illness. The National Institute of Mental Health has some tips on what you can do if you suspect someone you know is contemplating suicide, including:
- Asking them if they are considering suicide
- Keeping them safe by removing the lethal means
- Being there to listen to them
- Connecting them with resources
- And staying in touch after a crisis.
To learn more about Suicide Prevention Week, please visit the American Association of Suicidology’s website.
Like NNLM SCR on Facebook and like us on Twitter.
ABOUT Sara Goodwin
View all posts by Sara Goodwin