NNLM SEA Digest News – August 31, 2018
Posted by Tony Nguyen on August 31st, 2018
Posted in: All Posts
Welcome to the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM), Southeastern/Atlantic (SEA) Region’s Weekly Digest. This digest includes upcoming events, online training opportunities, news, and past events.
NNLM News – Top Stories
- The NLM, NNLM SEA, and NNLM DOCLINE Coordination Office will be closed on Monday, September 3rd. Normal business hours will resume on Tuesday, November 4th.
- SEA Side Webinar: Preparedness and Response for Public Health Emergencies, the Mission of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (Sep 6, 2 PM ET)
- Applications Open: Biomedical and Health Research Data Management Training for Librarians – Applications Due Sep 20, 2018
- SEA Insights: A NNLM SEA Webinar Series – Quarterly Update (Sep 25, 2-3 PM ET)
- Calling All Medical Librarians and Health Literacy Advocates! – Participate for your chance to win a free conference registration to a 2019 Annual Library Conference!
- Get Ready for National Preparedness Month!
Upcoming Online Training Opportunities*
Moodle: Asynchronous LMS Course Offerings
- SEA: Beyond an Apple a Day: Providing Consumer Health Information at Your Library (Sep 4 – Oct 15)
Webinars September 3-7
- NER: How to Save a Life – Administering Naloxone 101 (Sep 5, 1-2 PM ET)
- NTO: PubMed for Librarians – MeSH (Sep 5, 2-3:30 PM ET)
- NLM: Clinical Information, Librarians and the NLM: From Health Data Standards to Better Health (Sep 6, 13, 27, Oct 4, 12-12:40 PM ET)
- SEA: Preparedness and Response for Public Health Emergencies, the Mission of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) (Sep 6, 2-3 PM ET)
Visit the NNLM Training Schedule for all upcoming webinars and classes. For past webinars and classes, please visit the NNLM on YouTube**
National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Library of Medicine (NLM), and National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) News
- The NIH Director: A Scientist Who Bends Musical Notes
- Funding Announcement: NLM Research Grants in Biomedical Informatics and Data Science (Earliest Submission Date September 5, 2018)
- Funding Announcement: NLM Information Resource Grants to Reduce Health Disparities (Earliest Submission Date: Sep 22, 2018)
- Fellowship Announcement: NLM Welcomes Applications to Its Michael E. DeBakey Fellowship in the History of Medicine for 2019 (Apply by September 28)
NLM Technical Bulletin
- May-June 2018 Issue Complete
- NCBI Minute: Release Plan for NCBI API Keys (Sep 5, 12-12:30 PM ET)
- Hey Professors! Get Your Free Personal Assistant – an NCBI Account!
- Improved Search for Prokaryotic Assemblies and Genes
- Standalone Variation Services Replace Variation Reporter
- NCBI’s Genome Data Viewer Now Displays Data from Track Hubs
- Magic-BLAST (v1.4.0), an Accurate DNA and RNA-Seq Aligner
- Circulating Now: The Tomatoes of August
- NLM in Focus: Three Easy Questions: Three Surprising NLM Answers
- Musings on the Mezzanine: When September Doesn’t Mean Back to School
NNLM SEA Communications
- Online Newsletter: SEA Currents
- Facebook SEA Consumer Health Group
* Notes on NNLM Training Opportunities
- All sessions listed are sponsored by a specific regional or national office, but open to all.
- Webinars are scheduled for 1 hour unless otherwise noted.
- The NNLM class registration system requires a free NNLM account prior to registration.
- Visit the NNLM Training Opportunities to register and view a full calendar of training opportunities.
- Please visit the NNLM Acronym Guide to understand the acronyms.
- Refer to this guide to claim MLA CE credit.
- Not all Training Opportunities listed provide MLA CE credit. Please refer to the class page to see if a specific session offers credit.
** Please note that NNLM recordings on YouTube may not have MLA CE Credit available. Please contact the regional office that sponsored the webinar for details.
ABOUT Tony Nguyen
View all posts by Tony Nguyen