2019 Highlights of the NNLM SEA
Posted by Tony Nguyen on December 9th, 2019
Posted in: All of Us, All Posts, Outreach
Over the past year, the staff at the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM), Southeastern/Atlantic (SEA) collaborated with other NNLM regional medical libraries and offices to develop national programs that support the initiatives of the National Library of Medicine. By enhancing our collaboration, we were able to launch a number of programs that benefit our network members:
- Wikipedia Edit-a-thons – This provides an opportunity to engage communities in addressing societal needs and accelerate biomedical science, technology, and innovation. SEA staff collaborated with WebJunction to help librarians plan and offer Wikipedia Edit-athons at their institutions as well.
- Consumer Health Curriculum – In collaboration with the Public Libraries Association, the NNLM developed curriculum to enhance the skills of public librarians and help them provide consumer health information to their library’s users. This included new “Because” statements in the Libraries Transform Health Literacy Toolkit. The SEA region increased the number of public libraries as network members by 152%.
- All of Us Community Engagement – In support of the National Institutes of Health’s All of Us Research Program, the NNLM fosters community engagement by offering reading club book kits, toolkits tied to national health observances, and the Game of Health. These programs are designed to support library programming and help health consumers become more aware of health topics and their family health history.
- Research Data Management – Through NNLM RD3: Resources for Data-Driven Discovery NNLM SEA is collaborating with other regional medical libraries to train librarians in research data management. This includes classes like RDM 101: Biomedical and Health Research Data Management Training for Librarians, RDM 102: Beyond Research Data Management for Biomedical and Health Sciences Librarians, and the NNLM RDM Webinar Series.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion – NNLM SEA promoted the launch of a webinar series in collaboration with MLA and AAHSL to understand the various subordinated and marginalized intersectional identities and claim responsibility for our privilege. Additionally, NNLM SEA supported funds for participants to attend the Implicit Bias, Health Disparities, and Health Literacy: Intersections in Health Equity Symposium offered at the ALA Midwinter Conference and test piloted a virtual book club discussion on the Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People. This project continues through support by our colleagues from the MCR region.
The NNLM SEA staff exhibited at over 31 conferences and community events reaching over 10,000 attendees. Additionally, the NNLM SEA has supported over 300 educational sessions that reached almost 14,000 attendees over the past year. As we look forward to 2020, we plan to offer programming tied to the launch of the new PubMed, offer Library Carpentry workshops, collaborate and conduct outreach to community-based organizations that support the HIV/AIDS populations, and many more exciting new projects and programs to develop and support our network members.
ABOUT Tony Nguyen
View all posts by Tony Nguyen