ALA Midwinter Travel Awards Available
Posted by NNLM Region 7 on October 1st, 2018
Posted in: All of Us, Funded Project, Trainings
ALA, All of Us, awards, professional development, Travel
As part of a partnership with the All of Us Research Program, the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, New England Region (NNLM NER) is pleased to offer up to 20 Professional Development Awards for library staff to attend ALA Midwinter. Library Awardees can apply for up to $3,000 for registration and travel costs.
- Eligibility – Any library in CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT may apply.
- Awards will be made on a cost-reimbursement basis to the individual attendee’s library. (i.e. a library must pay for an employee to attend and NNLM NER will reimburse that library after the conference).
- Libraries may choose to use the $3,000 to send more than one person, but NNLM NER will not reimburse expenses beyond $3,000 to a single organization.
- Libraries must be a member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine. You may search to see if an organization is a member in the Membership directory. If not, membership is free and easy to sign up for. Only one award will be given per library.
- If an individual is not a member of ALA, this award cannot pay for membership. Please budget for the non-member Early Bird rate.
- In addition to the full conference, each individual using award money must register for and attend the preconference “Implicit Bias, Health Disparities and Health Literacy” – See details below*
- Any individual that receives any funds to attend ALA midwinter will be required to fill out a short evaluation: https://nnlm.gov/neo/members/evalmaterials#prodev. Awardee institutions may be asked if they would contribute to blog postings about the conference.
- Applications are due October 17, 2018 – Decisions will be made in time to register for the Early Bird Rate.
*More about the NNLM Pacific Northwest Region’s ALA Midwinter Preconference:
Implicit Bias, Health Disparities and Health Literacy: Intersections in Health Equity – Friday, January 25, 2019, 9:00 AM-Noon – The purpose of this preconference is to raise awareness of implicit bias’s connection to health equity and to deepen understanding of health literacy as a tool to address health equity within vulnerable communities. The format will include presentations, facilitated table conversations, and self-reflection. Participants will explore how libraries can deepen their work in health literacy to ensure a lasting impact for improving the health of their community. Organizers will provide a packet of useful resources to support health literacy in the library including tools to identify their local communities’ health needs. This preconference is sponsored by the National Network of Libraries of Medicine Pacific Northwest Region, the Public Library Association, and the ALA Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services. Ticket pricing: ALA Member: $40/50/$60 – Other Member: $40/$50/$60 – Non-Member: $40/$50/$60
Please feel free to share this with any library you think might be interested.
Please contact Martha Meacham (firstname.lastname@example.org – 508-856-1267)
ABOUT NNLM Region 7
Network National of Libraries of Medicine, Region 7
View all posts by NNLM Region 7